Our expectations as professional educators, concerned parents and interested community members are to have the young people in our care:
- read and write fluently
- speak articulately
- listen carefully
- understand science, mathematics, technology
- have a strong knowledge of history and culture (of our nation and others)
- appreciate the values of a free democratic society
- learn self-discipline, accept responsibility, think critically
- make good choices and accept responsibility
- participate appropriately in group settings
- treat others with respect, dignity and tolerance
- appreciate the natural world
- participate in and appreciate the arts
- acquire skills
- participate and appreciate wholesome physical activities for present and future well-being
- develop a sense of the future (e.g. possible occupation or profession)
The positive behaviour plan for students at Sherwood School has been simplified to three basic rules:
- Respect yourself.
- Respect others.
- Be responsible for your actions.
All students are expected to know these three rules. In the event of a discipline problem, these three rules will be the basis for the discussion of what went wrong, what should have been done, and what consequences will arise.